Rich Vleck, CHATHAM, Ont., (August 18, 2012)- As if Dustin Daggett wasn’t strong enough at South Buxton Raceway, being handed the pole for the feature made everyone groan that he was going to walk away to the win. Even though he would end up scoring the checkered flags, it was far from easy.
Daggett, of Portland, MI, swept the second weekend of the Jones-Brown Motorsports Insurance Northern Summer Nationals with sanctioning from the Patriot Sprint Tour, Southern Ontario Sprints and Corr/Pak Sprints of Ohsweken. South Buxton has become Dustin’s playground over the years, and that was evident again Saturday Night.
Despite jumping out to an early lead from the pole position in the 25-lap feature, Daggett felt pressure from Justin Barger, the winner at South Buxton in June, by lap three. Barger would move by the No. 2M on lap six while in the midst of lapped traffic but less than a lap later, Daggett was back out in front in what was a mad scramble.
On lap 11, Shane Stewart was on the move, taking second away from Barger and began to apply pressure, but his No. 3G had no answer for the leader either. After the race’s only caution flag on lap 12, The lead trio would once again work their way back around to lapped traffic, with Barger taking second back from Stewart briefly before handing it back over to the two-time Canadian Nationals Champion. As soon as they began to duke it out, Daggett sliced quickly through the traffic and gave him self plenty of breathing room to cruise to the win.
“These Canada races always seem to work out well for me,” declared Daggett in Victory Lane. “This car was on a rail all night long. We were really good in lapped traffic and I had to be, Barger got me there early and I figured Shane had to be right there too.”
As Daggett cruised to his fifth win at South Buxton, Stewart was able to finish second in his second appearance to the 1/3-mile D-shaped oval. It was a better result than the night before for the consummate front-runner but left his team with work to in preparation for the Canadian Nationals.
Barger’s third place effort was more than enough to allow him to score the Northern Summer Nationals Point Series Crown. Barger is now locked in to the Canadian Sprint Car Nationals A-Main next month.
Scott Kreutter won heat one and started in seventh for the feature and despite having his nose wing collapse on the second lap was able to drive up to finish fourth. Glenn Styres also scored a heat win and rounded out the top five.
Dain Naida, who won a wingless event at South Buxton last month, was sixth, with Quebec driver Alain Bergeron seventh. Chris Jones was a solid eighth, ahead of Travis Cunningham and Jamie Collard, who completed the top-10.
A total of 28 cars were on hand on a beautiful evening for racing in what was the fourth and final leg of the mini series. The only major incident of the night occurred in heat three when four cars cut down a right rear tire on the same lap after running over a piece of debris stuck in the track. All the cars were able to rejoin after swapping tires.
For more information, visit www.PatriotSprintTour.com.
NORTHERN SUMMER NATIONALS
SPRINT CAR SERIES 2012
ROUND 4 RACE REPORT - AUGUST 18
SOUTH BUXTON RACEWAY
TOTAL ENTRIES – 28
FEATURE (25 laps)
Finish. Number Name (Starting Position)
1. 2m Dustin Daggett (1)
2. 3g Shane Stewart (5)
3. 5b Justin Barger (4)
4. 52 Scott Kreutter (7)
5. 0 Glenn Styres (2)
6. 07x Dain Naida (3)
7. 8b Alain Bergeron (10)
8. 11j Chris Jones (6)
9. 71 Travis Cunningham (9)
10. 7x Jamie Collard (12)
11. 67 Chris Durand (8)
12. 10 Mitch Brown (13)
13. 51L Lee Ladouceur (20)
14. 33k Kyle Patrick (15)
15. 5c Conor Mahoney (14)
16. 01 Mikey Kruchka (18)
17. 5 Keith Dempster (17)
18. 3r Shane Ross (19)
19. 25 Warren Mahoney (24)
20. 57 Charlie Sandercock (11)
21. 9 Jim Munsie (22)
22. 30 Adam West (16)
23. 70 Jim Lingar (21)
24. 66 Frank Baranowski (23)
HEAT RACES (10 laps each – Top 18 in passing points transferred to A-Feature):
Finish. [Starting Position] Number Name (Hometown)
HEAT RACE #1
1.  52 Scott Kreutter (Alden, NY), 2.  07x Dain Naida (Tecumseh, MI), 3.  67 Chris Durand (Port Stanley), 4.  5c Conor Mahoney (Waterdown), 5.  10 Mitch Brown (Brantford), 6.  33k Kyle Patrick (Tilbury), 7.  30 Adam West (Ridgetown), 8.  9 Jim Munsie (Pickering), 9.  79 Dick Mahoney (Newmarket).
HEAT RACE #2
1.  0 Glenn Styres (Ohsweken), 2.  2m Dustin Daggett (Grand Ledge, MI), 3.  11j Chris Jones (Demorestville), 4.  8b Alain Bergeron (Saint-Pie, QC), 5.  01 Mikey Kruchka (Hamilton), 6.  3r Shane Ross (Thedford), 7.  5 Keith Dempster (Alton), 8.  15 Mike Ferrell (London), 9.  66 Frank Baranowski (Mount Hope).
HEAT RACE #3
1.  5b Justin Barger (Montrose, NY), 2.  3g Shane Stewart (Bixby, OK), 3.  57 Charlie Sandercock (Carrying Place), 4.  7x Jamie Collard (Burford), 5.  71 Travis Cunningham (Grimsby), 6.  51L Lee Ladouceur (Alexandria), 7.  70 Jim Lingar (South Bend, IN), 8.  25 Warren Mahoney (Lefroy), 9.  2 Brad Lodge (Stouffville), 10.  4 Eric Jamieson (Chatham).
B-MAIN (10 laps - Top 6 finishers transferred to A-Feature)
Finish. Number Name (Starting Position)
1. 3r Shane Ross (1), 2. 51L Lee Ladouceur (2), 3. 70 Jim Lingar (3), 4. 9 Jim Munsie (4), 5. 66 Frank Baranowski (7), 6. 25 Warren Mahoney (6), 7. 15 Mike Ferrell (5), 8. 4 Eric Jamieson (10), DNS. 79 Dick Mahoney (8), DNS. 2 Brad Lodge (9).
2012 NORTHERN SUMMER NATIONALS SPRINT CAR SERIES CHAMPION - Justin Barger
Patriot Sprint Tour Canada Series Points (Top 10)- Justin Barger 853, Dain Naida 768, Jamie Collard 756, Mitch Brown 746, Scott Kreutter 702, Jared Zimbardi 679, Alain Bergeron 659, Bryan Howland 646, Glenn Styres 631, Lee Ladouceur 579.